[Wien] Blue Gene/L

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 13 12:06:18 CET 2007

Maybe I missed this previous posting.

Anyway: The current lapw1_mpi and lapw2_mpi will most likely NOT run
well - maybe not at all . It has a large sequential overhead, both in
terms of cpu-time, but even more important, in terms of memory. Thus for
a "large case" (several hundreds of atoms) the memory/node would stay
large, even when you could use 1000 processors.

We have (and still do) enhanced these mpi-versions significantly and
most likely they will be released with the next update.

In lapw1_mpi, both, hamilt and hns scale very well with #cpus, both in
time and memory.
The diagonalization goes with scalapack and is as good as scalapack is
(I'd say this becomes the bottleneck, but maybe Blue/Gene has a better
scalapack...?)
PS: We also have a greatly improved iterative diagonalization, but
that's not in parallel yet.

lapw2 got an "additional" parallelization over the atoms and scales
again nicely as long as the number of atoms is large (thus on 1000
processors it may not scale perfectly anymore, but should be still quite
fast.

Of course Blue/Gene makes sense only for cases with more than eg. 500
atoms .... and don't expect to run anything "out of the box" on such
machines....