[Wien] NEW1

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 21 16:26:46 CEST 2007

deltas have the same meaning, however, they will be internally automatically
adjusted when the minimization proceeds, so their influence is rather small
(determines only the first step). eta is not used.

As was mentioned also by L.Marks: When computational parameters are low or scf
convergence is difficult, forces and total energies may not always be
consistent. In such cases PORT will not work (one "bad" energy (eg. too low)
will confuse PORT, since it wants to minimize E-tot, but had a lower (wrong)
energy before ....

Metallic slabs are notoriously known for bad scf convergence (k-points, ...)
and thus PORT may not work. NEW1 does not care too much about ONE bad step,
because it discards older history than the previous one, so it should be
superior in this case.

However, when force=0, but E-tot is NOT the minimum (or close to the minimum)
you might have a serious problem and check scf-convergence, FERMI method,
k-points, RKmax, ...

Are you using the latest WIEN2k version ?