[Wien] band gap with EV-GGA and PBE-GGA

Mary White us.white at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 15:07:29 CEST 2007

Dear all,
       Thank you for all your help. I once considered the GW approximation.But what I calculate is heavy atoms,I can't deal with heavy atoms with the GW method.Maybe in the pseudo potential,can add the spin-orbit coupling.Is there indeed no other ways to calculate the small gap in wien2k?
      Thank you for your attention.
                                                                     Mary

Hong Jiang <jiang at fhi-berlin.mpg.de> wrote:
  Hi,
Your problem is actually not related to which structure you use.
Usually the band gap calculated from LDA or GGA can not be taken too
seriously because of the well-known band gap problem of LDA/GGA, i.e.
the LDA/GGA band gaps are always under-estimated, and therefore for
small gap systems, LDA/GGA usually predict metallic behavior; for
transition metal oxides like MnO, FeO, CoO and NiO, even experimental
gaps are not small (~4 eV), LDA/GGA can also give zero or very small
gaps. In terms of the band gap, EV93 is known to give larger gaps, but
usually not large enough compared to experiment. For accurate and
reliable calculations of band gaps, one has to use the GW
approximation, which is unfortunately very expensive and only feasible
for small systems. See the review paper in Rep. Prog. Phys. 61, 237
(1998) for more details.
Hope this is helpful.

Hong