[Wien] How to calculate magnetism?

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Fri Nov 23 17:26:51 CET 2007

Dear GuoHua Zhong,

I think that your question is more general and does not simply concern
Wien2k.
In fact, it seems that you would like to know if there is possibilities
to extract magnetic information on the basis of band structure periodic
calculations.
Of course such study is possible and many articles are devoted to the
determination of the magnetic properties related to a material, based on
total energy comparison ...
To be more explicit, if you plan to estimate the ability of your system
to exhibit long-range magnetic order (AFM, FM, ferrimagnetic, colinear
or non-colinear ...) one solution is to estimate the magnetic exchange
interactions of the compound (J values). Such estimation can be done
based on a mapping analysis (based on an Heisenberg Hamiltonian for
instance), i.e. by energy difference between different magnetic order.

As an example, if your system is based on two J values (let say J1 and
J2), you will need 2 magnetic phases (at least) to extract these 2
exchange interaction parameters.

Regards

Xavier Rocquefelte