[Wien] supercell problem of Al2O3

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Oct 2 11:02:38 CEST 2007

The Intel homepage tells:

The Intel Fortran Compilers 8.0 or higher allocate more
temporaries on the stack than previous  Intel Fortran
compilers. Temporaries include automatic arrays and array sub-sections
corresponding to actual arguments. If the program is not afforded
adequate stack space at runtime relative to the total size of the
temporaries, the program will terminate with a segmentation fault on
Linux. On Linux, the stack space can be increased
using (e.g. ulimit -s unlimited) for bash shell or (e.g.
limit stacksize unlimited) for csh shell.

For Intel Fortran Compilers 10.0: The heap-arrays compiler
option directs the compiler to put the automatic arrays and arrays
created for temporary computations on the heap instead of the stack.

Note: The size of "unlimited" varies by Linux
configuration, so you may need to specify a larger, specific number to
 ulimit (for example, 999999999). On Linux also note
that many 32bit Linux distributions ship with a pthread
static library (libpthread.a) that at runtime will fix the
stacksize to 2093056 bytes regardless of the ulimit setting. To
avoid this problem do not link with the -static option or the
 -fast option. Instead of -fast, use options:  -ipo -O3
-no-prec-div -xP. This only affects the 32bit Linux
distributions and does not apply to the 64bit Linux
distributions.

So it is seems to be just another handbook-not-read-error. :-(