[Wien] Accuracy (relevance almost) of lstart energies

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 16 08:33:42 CEST 2007

lstart is "exact" (for good radial mesh and within a given DFT and for
spherical atoms) !!! You cannot get a lower energy for a spherical atom
in a given DFT functional.

lstart is NOT a basisset method, but integrates the radial Schrödinger
(in fact the dirac !) equation numerically. It finds the eigenvalues by the constraint
that the solution at infinity must go to zero (normalization condition).

It really is fully relativistic, therefore its energies are LOWER than
WIEN2k-supercell energies and not compatible for the calculation of
atomization energies.

To test what I've said, you can switch off relativistic (NREL in case.struct)
and then lstart and wien2k-supercells give (almost) the same energies.