[Wien] 2 XEON 5355 or 4 XEON 5150?

Florent Boucher Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr
Thu Oct 25 09:43:35 CEST 2007

Dear Alexander,
thank you for your experience.
Will it be possible to have the results of the official WIEN benchmark
for this type of node

Intel Q6600

starting from 1 job (1kpoint/1thread) up to 4 jobs (4 kpoints).

Peter, can we think also in looking the benchmark results of the new
iterrative diagonalization scheme.
If you want that people use this approach for large system, it is
important to know how it performs on various architecture.
Best regards
Florent

Alexander Shaposhnikov a écrit :
> Hello Florent,
>
> On Monday 22 October 2007 15:35, Florent Boucher wrote:
>
>> Dear Wien users,
>>
> ***
>
>> In that case, if you look the benchmark results below, it is not a good
>> solution !
>>
>> bi-Xeon 5320 (overcl 2.67GHz)
>>
> ******
>
>> You can see that even an overclocked solution run slower than an AMD
>> when putting 8 jobs on it !
>> The memory band width is much lower than on AMD, due to the memory
>> architecture. It is better in that case to by more nodes with less
>> expensive AMD chips for which the efficiency is much better when the
>> load average is close to 100%.
>>

> I believe those are results i obtained for my machine :)
> The scaling is very bad indeed, even though the machine has almost 20% faster
> memory than standart non-overclocked bi-Xeon X5355 (and the same CPU
> frequency)
>

>> For information, we have been able to buy a solution with 20 nodes from
>> a well known company (1U, 2 x AMD 2.8GHz bicore, 8Go DDR2 per node,
>> Infinipath DDR 4X, warranty 3 years) for less than 50k€ (without taxes).
>> The power consumption for such a configuration will be less than 7kW/h.
>>

> You could have done better and pay less.
> Typical 24-port infiniband switch is 5k€, 1 node based around Intel Q6600 with
> 8GB memory is 1k€ including infiniband mem-free network card, so 24k€ for 24
> nodes, 30k€ total.
> The cluster will have 920Gigaflops, and consume no more than 5KW.
> And if you dare :) , you can always trouble-free overclock it to at least
> 3GHz, increasing to 1.15 Teraflops.
> Scaling will be good enough, as the memory performance of Intel desktop
> chipsets is adequate.
>
> Best Regards.

| Florent BOUCHER                    |                                    |
| Institut des Matériaux Jean Rouxel | Mailto:Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr |
| 2, rue de la Houssinière           | Phone: (33) 2 40 37 39 24          |
| BP 32229                           | Fax:   (33) 2 40 37 39 95          |
| 44322 NANTES CEDEX 3 (FRANCE)      | http://www.cnrs-imn.fr             |