[Wien] a strange question about GGA+U

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Sat Sep 1 14:28:31 CEST 2007

Such behaviour is -- unfortunately -- typical for LDA+U. For sure you
know that if you perform a regular GGA calculation, the final result
might depend on the starting density (e.g., start with a non-magnetic
density and you find a nonmagnetic result, start with a ferromagnetic
density and you find a ferromagnetic result). Similarly, with LDA+U
the final result depends on the starting density *and* on the density
matrix (dmatup/dn). And the dependence is much stronger than for
LDA/GGA: even small changes in the density matrix might lead a very
different self-consistent solution. The total energy tells you which
solution is the better one, but there is no systematic procedure that
guarantees you have found all possible solutions, and hence you're
never sure you've found the real ground state.

Stefaan