[Wien] A feature of the new mixer

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Thu Sep 13 09:40:22 CEST 2007

This is not really different from the 'golden rule' that applied in the
past (perhaps not any more in the latest versions, but I kept doing
this): "whenever you change some technical parameter (Rkmax, k-mesh,
...), do 'rm *.broy*' as well".

General feedback: this new mixer is great, it really speeds up
convergence a lot. We had one case where it failed (and where also the
old mixer failed), but it was a rather uncommon one: the starting values
for the internal coordinates where close to a local *maximum* of the
Born-Oppenheimer surface, such that the forces became smaller while the
energy was increasing -- finally leading to a 'inconsistent forces and
energy' error.

Stefaan