[Wien] Program sgroup in the binary executables is dynamically linked.

B. Yanchitsky yan at im.imag.kiev.ua
Fri Sep 14 19:40:23 CEST 2007

Thomas Claesson wrote:
> When I examine the binary installed on my system with "file sgroup" I get
> this output:
>
>> file sgroup
> sgroup: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
> GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
> As far as I understand, this means that my version of the sgroup binary is
> dynamically linked at compile time. So at run time  it looks for installed
> components, like libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' , which are not installed
> on my system and hence the crash.

To perform static linking it would be enough to add -static flag to LDFLAGS
in sgroup's Makefile (gcc). But I'm not sure there exists universal cure for problems
like that.
For example, being compiled on a newer Linux (kernel 2.6.21.5), I have got the error

FATAL: kernel too old
Segmentation fault

from an older machine (kernel 2.6.13-15), even not a glibc problem,
i.e., as far as I can see, to keep binary compatibility,
one has to use binaries compiled on an older
machine/software.

Regards,
Bogdan Yanchitsky

Institute of Magnetism