[Wien] "remotemachine: Undefined variable." coming from lapw1para_lapw and lapw2para_lapw

Steven Hahn shahn at iastate.edu
Fri Sep 21 23:55:30 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I am trying to setup the fine-grain parallel (mpi) version of WIEN2k
7.3 on our cluster. I successfully compiled the code, but received an
error "remotemachine: Undefined variable." when executing "x lapw1 -p
-c" on the test_case benchmark. Investigating this problem I found
that adding  "set remotemachine = $machine[$p]" before line 497 of
lapw1para_lapw allows the benchmark to complete. Testing the full
iteration with run_lapw on a different case, I had to add the same
line before line 315 of lapw2para_lapw for WIEN2k to finish without
errors.

I've tried recompiling everything a second time from the tar file,
but the problem persists. I did notice that line 496 of
lapw1para_lapw and line 314 of lapw2para_lapw (set remotemachine =
`head -1 .machine[$p]`) is missing after the compilation. Adding this
line by hand gives me a new error message (set: Variable name must
begin with a letter). This problem is quickly spiraling beyond my
familiarity with the program. Have others had problems with the mpi
parallel code? Is this a bug in the code, and if not what setting do
I need to change? Is the workaround described above correct, or are
there other files I need to change for proper operation?

Steven