[Wien] "remotemachine: Undefined variable." coming from lapw1para_lapw and lapw2para_lapw

Steven Hahn shahn at iastate.edu
Sun Sep 23 16:35:30 CEST 2007

Yes, I replaced SRC.tar.gz with the file from the website before
running expand_lapw. Reconfiguring and compiling in a new directory
(and changing my .bashrc settings) was simply to keep things as clean
as possible. For the time being let's assume I have latest files.

The machine I am using is a 64 node opteron cluster with 2 dual-core
processors per node. It uses openmpi 1.2.3 and openpbs (not sure of
the version) for parallel execution and scheduling. I have also
verified that passwordless ssh works between nodes. In "configure
parallel execution" I said no to "Shared memory architecture, and ssh
to "Remote shell". The "mpirun command" is mpirun -np _NP_ -
machinefile _HOSTS_ _EXEC_.

I have already carefully analyzed the lapw1para file, and in my first
message included the line numbers of the problem as well as a
potential workaround. The problem is that remotemachine is never
defined in lapw1para_lapw. My concern is both the cause of the
original error and in the correctness of this "fix."

In the interest of testing, I tried reconfiguring WIEN2k for shared
memory architecture, and ran on only one node. I also tried
configuring and compiling the older 7.2 version with the same
parallel setting that I give above for a distributed memory machine.
In both cases I received the same error message from openmpi:

[shahn at node050 test_case]$ x lapw1 -p -c
starting parallel lapw1 at Sun Sep 23 00:50:02 CDT 2007
->  starting parallel LAPW1 jobs at Sun Sep 23 00:50:02 CDT 2007
running LAPW1 in parallel mode (using .machines)
1 number_of_parallel_jobs
[1] 27569
[node050:27571] pls:tm: failed to poll for a spawned proc, return
status = 17002
[node050:27571] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: In errno in file rmgr_urm.c
at line 462
[node050:27571] mpirun: spawn failed with errno=-11
[1]  + Done                          ( cd $PWD; $t $ttt; rm -f .lock_
$lockfile[$p] ) >> .time1_$loop
      node050 node050 node050 node050(2) 0.035u 0.021s 0:00.13
38.4%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
**  LAPW1 crashed!
cat: No match.
0.070u 0.252s 0:03.66 8.7%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
error: command   /home/shahn/software/WIEN2k_073/lapw1cpara -c
lapw1.def   failed

If I bypass the scheduler and ssh directiy into the node this same
command completes without errors. Investigating this error message I
found that openmpi currently does not support the -machinefile option
in our enviroment. While we may call it a bug, openmpi considers it
to be a feature. There is a lengthy discussion at the following
website(http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/
2007/05/3184.php) Unfortunately, I don't have access to a machine
with either a different flavor of mpi or a different scheduler. The
simple workaround to this problem appears to be using version 7.3,
which I assume calls mpirun as a remote command. However, that setup
gives the error "remotemachine: Undefined variable" that this thread
is all about.

Steve