[Wien] more about tisi2

Vicki Keast Vicki.Keast at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Apr 1 02:08:54 CEST 2008

Dear All,

Further to my previous email about having trouble getting TiSi2. The
generation of additional and wrong atoms was probably due to us entering
the structure incorrectly. However we are still having trouble getting
this structure to work.

One unusual characteristic is that although the y lattice parameter is
different to the x lattice parameter, and stays this way in the the text
of the structure file, when we look at the structure file through w2web,
they are the same. And if you then save it through w2web, they are
overwritten as the same.

Another thing I don't understand is that when we run kgen, the number of
k-points in all three directions is the same, even though the y-lattice
parameter is nearly half the length of the other two.

Finally the scf cycle will not run and lapw0.error has the following
information.

'SETFF1'- ifft too small in xcpot3
'SETFF1' - 2*(KKK+1) LARGER THAN IFFT PARAMETERS IN XCPOT3
'SETFF1' - KKK= 0 0 30
'SETFF1' - IIx= 0 0 30
'SETFF1' - IFFT=  64  64  60

We have also tried directly putting in all the atom positions and
letting wien sort out the space group and symmetry, which it does as we
would expect except for a shift of the origin. In this case the lattice
parameters at least stay as they should be, but we still get an
identical error to the one above when we try the scf cycle.

The structure is 70 Fddd (a=8.27, b = 4.80, c=8.55) Ti at 1/8, 1/8, 1/8
and Si at 0.4615, 1/8, 1/8.

As I only receive the weekly digest, could any responses be sent
directly to me as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Vicki
Dr. Vicki J. Keast
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
Australia
Ph: + 61 2 4921 6653