[Wien] Murnaghan equation

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Wed Apr 2 14:32:37 CEST 2008

>   I am optimizing the volume of a hexagonal cell.  I changed the
> volume -9 to 0% reduction with step of -1 in optimize.job.  I got
> the smooth parabola.  The minimum energy lies close to the volume of
>  -5% reduction.  Volume at -5% reduction is V=999.6100. In Murnaghan
>  equation, minimum energy volume Vo=990.8361.  I read your reply
> about murnaghan question in
> http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2006-November/008287.html.
>   So Murnaghan equation gives minimum energy volume correctly.
>   But after that i want to optimize c/a ratio.  I had chosen the the
>  case_vol__-5.0.struct file to undergo change in c/a ratio at
> constant volume.  Because i don't have the struct file for volume Vo
>  showed by Murnaghan equation.
>   am i in correct direction?

Nothing prevents you from making a case.struct with the optimal volume
and same c/a as your initial series, and start the c/a optimization
from there on. Once found the optimal c/a at that volume, make again a
cell with that optimal c/a, and optimize the volume again, etc. etc.,
until nothing changes any more (often 2 such iterations are sufficient).

Alternative: optimize the volume for e.g. 5 different c/a ratio's, and
determine the absolute minimum in an Energy versus (volume, c/a) plot
(3D plot).

Stefaan