[Wien] why artificial lowering of symmetry changes the total energy?

Stefaan Cottenier stefaan.cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Thu Apr 17 11:05:44 CEST 2008

> {1} - (26 Pmc21)
> or
> {2} - (11 P21/m).
>
> The total FM energy of {1} is -152655.214439 Ry
>            and that of {2} is -152655.214842 Ry
>
> The precision of both calculations was 0.000001 Ry since all the figures after the point are important for me.

That looks like a difference that is more than numerical noise. But: we
should distinguish between accuracy and self-consistency. The precision
of  0.000001 Ry which you quote is probably coming from your convergence
criterium, isn't it? That means that your solution is considered to be
self-consistent if such (strong) criterium is met. But that isn't the
completely identical to requiring high absolute accuracy : your result
can be highly self-consistent but not very accurate. And then it is not
guaranteed that two formally identical cases will yield exactly the same
energy. You can try to repeat these calculations with a higher RKmax,
and see whether the energy difference decreases.

> I am including the case.dmatdn files of both cases. There are differences between the density matrices of {1} and {2}, but I do not know what they mean physically.

These are 5x5 matrices, of which the diagonal elements correspond to the
occupation of the different m-orbitals for d-electrons (roughly
speaking...). At first sight, the diagonals look fairly identical in all
cases. My bet is hence that you need a larger RKmax.

Stefaan