[Wien] Non-collinear magnetism in WIEN2k? Total magnetic moment, spin moment and orbital moment...

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Tue Apr 22 07:46:45 CEST 2008

Dear Pablo,

if M is not along the symmetry axis, the spin orbit coupling will cant the
spin out of the direction prescribed for magnetization in case.inso. Also
orbital moment will deviate from it. Both spin and orbital moment are
calculated in LAPWDM, which allows determination of all components of
these vectors. Note that there is some inconsistency: M direction is
prescribed in case.inso, but after finishing the calculation, you'll find
magnetization in different direction. The reason is that you keep along
the selected direction the exchange field, but the total field is sum of
the exchange field and 'field' from spin-orbit coupling s<l>.

As to your second question: in LAPWDM you calculate the spin moment from
selected electrons only (usually d or f), while moment in the sphere is
the sum from all electrons: you can check it by running LAPWDM for all s,
p, d and f states.

Pavel