[Wien] New qtl testing

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Fri Aug 8 10:53:05 CEST 2008

Dear Oleg,

the problem you encountered is not caused by the qtl program, but by the
x script. If you look at it you'll find in part
case qtl the construction:

while ($iatom <= $natom)
set help=`expr 30 + $iatom`
set cf=`expr 50 + $iatom`
set int=`expr 70 + $iatom`
     echo "$help,'$file.qtl$updn$iatom','unknown','formatted',0">>$def
     echo "$cf,'$file.cf$iatom','unknown','formatted',0">>$def
     echo "$int,'$file.int$iatom$updn','unknown','formatted',0">>$def
   @ iatom ++
end

some of the UNIX shells refuse this and the definition file is then wrong,
consequently no results are obtained. I am not an expert on UNIX scripts,
but certainly Peter could correct it. In the meantime you may delete this
construction: nothing will happen unless you try to use QSPLIT=6 (user
defined transformation). I used your TiC-b data and checked that qtl
program gives exactly the same results as lapw2 -qtl. There is, however,
inconsistency in your input data TiC-b.inq
 -10  10
  1
  2  2  0  0
  2  1  2

look at the 3rd line: you require qtl calculation for atom 2 (C) with
QSPLIT=2 (DOS in basis of real orbitals -see user's guide), no
symmetrization. However, TiC has cubic symmetry and if you like for some
reason obtain DOS of individual orbitals you must symmetrize! (my
QTL-technical report). What I guess you wanted may be obtained with .inq:
 -10  10
  2
  1  5  0  0
  1  2
  2  5  0  0
  2  0  1

Regards
Pavel

Dr. Pavel Novak
Department of Magnetism and Superconductivity
Institute of Physics AS CR
Cukrovarnicka 10, 162 53 Praha 6, Czech Republic
tel: +420 2 20 318 532
e-mail: novakp at fzu.cz