[Wien] big QTL-B when excutables compiled with ifort10.1 and mkl10.0

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 4 08:26:39 CET 2008

> Recently I am trying to run wien2k_08.2 on  an x86_64 machine with Intel
> Xeon processors. There is no problem with the compilation (ifort 10.1
> and mkl 10.0) and it works fine for several calculations. However, I did
> get one problem in a system containing rare-earth element Yb. The
> program stopped at the very first iteration with big QTL-B values. I am
> sure the structure file is correct. I have the same RMT values for all
> atoms, the Kmax is not very big, and the Fermi level is about 0.43.
> Normally I should not expect this error. Actually, I did this
> calculation with WIEN2k_06.3 compiled with PGI compiler and ACML library
> on another machine with AMD processor before. There is no problem at
> all. Therefore, I do not think that the ghost state is real here. My
> question is if there is something different in version 06_3 and 08_2 (I
> checked the update info, it seems this is not the case, I do not use
> iterative diagonalization and run the program with k-point
> parallelization only) or it is due to the compilation?

When you have a working installation, compare the two calculations step
by step, starting with the initialization,....

> I also have another trouble related to spaghetti. There is no problem to
> run spaghetti with total number of eigenvalues less than 1000, but will
> get segmentation fault with total number of eigenvalues more than 1000
> on both machines mentioned above. When I debug the program and the error
> is "Subscript out of range for array k_name (spag.f: 162)". Has anybody
> met this kind of problem before?

edit spag.f and change
       NEVL=1000
to a larger value.
PS: 1000 electrons means typically 100 atoms and usually a
"bandstructure" for such large unit cells is not really very
interesting.....