[Wien] about the spin-orbit coupling

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 4 08:36:31 CET 2008

when you run:     x dstart -c -up
There cannot be an error about reading case.in2  (because it should be
case.in2c

So you ran x dstart -up   ???

You have to understand the effect of spin-orbit for magnetic systems.

It can happen (ONLY for MAGNETIC SYSTEMS) that spin-orbit reduces
symmetry and you may loose inversion or even get more inequivalent atoms
than before.
initso tries to handle this and even rewrites the input files (if SO
made 2 atoms out of one position, all in1,in2,inc,... files have to be
updated.
In addition the charge density ("stars" of rho_k) is different and the
LM-list,...

There might be cases, where initso is not completely successful in
modifying all files and one needs further adaptations by hand, because
the symmetry changes are too difficult.
But nobody can help you without the specific example in hand.