[Wien] Transformation from rhombohedral to hexagonal coordinates - swapping of x and y components

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 4 17:45:41 CET 2008

Now I looked briefly into the code and apparently I've made this change
(some 20 years ago for reasons I cannot remember at all).

Naively, I'd say that interchanging h1 and h2 must not matter at all.
Maybe it was done because I wanted that the first position of the
hex setting 18e (x,0,.25) matches the first rhomb setting 6e (x,.5-x,.25)
of the int.Tables of Cryst.

Can you send me the two struct files (or the basic data), when you say
that symmetry does not work at all (finds zero symmetry) ? I do not understand
this, because your interchanged H1/H2 matric would lead for the example above
to a position (.5-x,.25,x), which is a valid 6e position and in WIEN it should
not matter which of the 6 "6e" positions you enter.

The answer to the question: 12 vs. 36 symmetry operations is the same
as for FCC Cu: Do we have 48 or 4.48=192 symmetry operations?
The "primitive" cell always has 48 (or 12 for Rhomb) symops, the
"simple-cubic (or hexagonal) "supercell" has 4 (3) times more. But
WIEN uses always a primitive cell.

Take a primitive cubic cell with one atom. There are 48 operations.
Now create a 10x10x10 supercell. This produces 1000 atoms and of course,
these 1000 atoms are still equivalent. Thus a "generalized" symmetry-
program should find at least 1000 symmetry operations, which transform
these atoms among each other.

WIEN does not do it, but requires that you define the smallest possible cell
(the "primitive" one; and sgroup will do this for you); or you have to
"break symmetry" and make some atoms "non-equivalent".