[Wien] case.inst file -- Europium

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Tue Dec 9 14:21:14 CET 2008

Anurag Chaudhry wrote:
> Thank you Dr. Cottenier,
>
> I followed your suggestion and could plot 5d states as well as 4f for
> Europium.
>
> I would like to now proceed to do a constrained calculation as
> prescribed in Madsen & Novak notes to determine the effective U
> parameter for Europium 4f states.  In this regard I have a question.
>
> The SrI2_Eu.inc (for Eu doped SrI2) file says something like the
> following for Eu
>
> 14 0.00     NUMBER OF ORBITALS (EXCLUDING SPIN), SHIFT
> 1,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 2,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 2, 1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 2,-2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 3,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 3, 1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 3,-2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 3, 2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 3,-3,6               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 4,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 4, 1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 4,-2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 4, 2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> 4,-3,6               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> while the SrI2_Eu.inst file has the following information --
>
> Eu
> Xe 4
> 4, 3,3.0  N
> 4, 3,0.0  N
> 4,-4,3.0  N
> 4,-4,0.0  N
> 5, 2,1.0  N
> 5, 2,0.0  N
> 6,-1,1.0  N
> 6,-1,1.0  N
>
> According to the Madsen & Novak notes I should include the 4f states in
> the core. And they recommend doing two calculations - one with 4 up 3.5
> dn and another with 4 up 2.5 dn constrained f electrons.  Is this right
> for Europium ??

I leave this for the Madsen & Novak to comment upon (is the fact that
you go over half a shell here an issue? If it is, then do these
calculations for a slightly lighter lanthanide -- U should not depend
too much on it).

However, I remember to have tried such constrained calculations for
lanthanides a few years ago, and obtained a U that was only half as
large as would be meaningful. I'm not sure whether these constrained
calculations are appropriate for f elements.

> For Ni in NiO the notes indicate the headers of the files should look like
>
> NiO.incup_+.50: NiO.incdn_+.50
>
> 7 1.00          7 1.00
>
> 1,-1,2          1,-1,2
>
> 2,-1,2          2,-1,2
>
> 2, 1,2          2, 1,2
>
> 2,-2,4          2,-2,4
>
> 3,-1,2          3,-1,2
>
> 3, 2,4          3, 2,4   <= line added
>
> 3,-3,5          3,-3,4      <= line added
>

> for a calculation with 4.5 up 4 dn electrons.  The notes mention the
> above changes to the files for the case of 8.5 constrainted d electrons
> but I am not able to understand how this is achieved ??  To me it
> appears that we have 9 spin-up and 8 spin-dn electrons.

The case.inc file has always all electrons (up+dn), look for instance at
the earlier lines with 2 1s electrons, 6 2p electrons, etc. When it is
split in a case.incup and case.incdn, the number of electrons in the
d-shell is made such that after a division by 2 the desired number is
obtained.

Stefaan