[Wien] Formation energy + some other querries!

XU ZUO xzuo at nankai.edu.cn
Wed Feb 6 15:19:19 CET 2008

I think you are considering the formation energy of defect. So, you
should chose pure GaN as the zero energy of the formation energy. Dr.
Stephan Lanny and Dr. Alex Zunger gave a nice formula about the defect
formation energy[1].

[1] Stephan Lanny and Alex Zunnger, Dopability, Intrinsic Conductivity,
and Nonstoichiometry of Transparent Conducting Oxides, Phys. Rev. Lett.
98, 045501 (2007).

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 16:46 +0530, Nandan Tandon wrote:
> By zero energy, we really meant the zero of the energy scale.
>
> Now i understand that the formation energy can be calculated as:
> Formation energy for GaN with Mn(Ga15,Mn1,N16) : total ENE of
> Ga15MnN16 - 15*total ENE for Ga metal in standard state structure - 1*
> total ENE for Mn metal in standard state structure - 16* total ENE for
> N in standard structure.
>
> Since in this formula the total energy is with respect to the same
> zero, (as Stefaan has indicated), this formula should work provided
> all the total energies are available.
> This leads to the question of how to evaluate total energy for N in
> standard structure since N would be present only in the gaseous
> phase??????
>
> Also, just to confirm what Stefaan has said, if one does an atomic
> calculation for H, the total energy evaluated should be around 1Ryd?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nandan.
>
> On 2/6/08, rcais at cal3.vsnl.net.in <rcais at cal3.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
> > For an alloy, formation energy energy is what is conventionally used. Cohesive energy could also be used for an initial assessment. The calculation would  be as follows :
> >  Formation energy for GaN with Mn(Ga15,Mn1,N16) : total ENE of Ga15MnN16 - 15*total ENE for Ga metal in standard state structure - 1* total ENE for Mn metal in standard state structure - 16* total ENE for N in standard structure. Subtracting individual atom energies in weighted amounts from the total energies gives the same result since they cancel out. A positive value suggests a phase that is unstable / metastable) with respect to the metals. Very low negative or positive values of cohesive energy would indicate a definitely unstable phase whereas metastable existence is possible otherwise.
> > Please correct me if I am wrong.
> > Chandrika
> > Anjali :By zero energy do you mean zero point energy?

Xu Zuo

Professor of Electrical Engineering
College of Information Technical Science
Nankai University
202 Main Building, 94 Weijin Rd.
Tianjin 300071, P. R. China
Tel: +86-22-2349-4853 (office)