[Wien] problem with "isolated band" in super cell calculation

Stefaan Cottenier stefaan.cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Thu Feb 14 10:45:29 CET 2008

> But when calculating the super cell:
> 1 I got message "> energy in SCF NOT CONVERGED "in .dayfile.

That only means that the maximum number of iterations you specified was
reached, without meeting your energy convergence criterium. If the
calculations was converging, just continue.
> 2 I reduced the K points from 20 to 10. the SCF converged but the DOS of atoms shows isolated bands instead of a continuous spectrum. It is just like the XRD pattern of a single crystal.

Could you successfully obtain a DOS for a smaller test case, and did you
repeat exactly this procedure? If so, then perhaps you have not enough
k-points for a good DOS.

Stefaan