[Wien] NaCl Phonon calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 22 09:26:55 CET 2008

This is NaCl, thus no need (no possibility) to optimize positions.

Of course the volume affects the phonon frequencies, but unless you
have a very unreasonable volume (mixed Ang and bohr ????) the NaCl
structure should be stable and thus imaginary frequencies should not appear.

I'd expect you made an error during init_phonon. Remember, you must not accept
changes by sgroup (when it wants to change the lattice), but have to find the
proper symmetry by nn.

Maybe try first a 1x1x1 supercell. Of course in this case the supercell is
too small, but still at Gamma and X (?) the frequencies should be exact.