[Wien] strange time using -it switch

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jan 25 13:52:05 CET 2008

Debugging is hard if you send me an output for a serial run and I should debug
the parallel one!

> In my last e-mail, I only show the single CPU calculation. Here is a
> k-point parallel information,

> set machines=`grep init .processes | cut -f2 -d: | cut -f1 -d ' ' | xargs`
> grep init .processes
> cut -f2 -d:
> xargs
> cut -f1 -d
> endif
> set copy
> set updn
> if (  == -up ) set updn=up
> if (  == -dn ) set updn=dn
> if (  == -updn ) then
> if (  == -dnup ) then
> set scratch=./
> if ( 1 ) then
> set scratch=`echo $SCRATCH  | sed -e 's/\/$//'`/
> echo ./
> sed -e s/\/$//
> endif
> cd ./
> setenv PWD /scratch/zhang/test/100
> if ( ! 1 ) then
> set i=1
> while ( 1 < = 0 )
> endif
> exit 0

Compare this output with the sourcecode (vec2old_lapw):
set i=1
while ( $i <= $#machines )

It tells me that $#machines = 0

The variable machines is set in the first line, but is apparently empty:

 > set machines=`grep init .processes | cut -f2 -d: | cut -f1 -d ' ' | xargs`

Please execute this command (or better):

     grep init .processes | cut -f2 -d: | cut -f1 -d ' ' | xargs

in the corresponding directory at the commandline and

If there's no output, check the content of the file  .processes
(It should contain several lines with "init" at the beginning and some hostname later on
in this line)
and eventually remove one command after the other from the end to find out
where the problem appears. (xargs ?)