[Wien] about SO coupling parameter

Victor Pardo Castro victor.pardo at usc.es
Wed Jul 30 18:36:06 CEST 2008

> Dear Wien2k comunity
> Could somebody explain me how to extract the so coupling parameter from the
> lsda+so calculations?, i didn't find anything posted in the mailing list
> about this.

Maybe there are better ways but I just know how to do it with
LSDA+U+SO. If you are talking about \lambda, as in H_so= \lambda L.S,
I would try to flip L with respect to S, which is easy to do in some
cases playing with the dmat files (probably exchanging m_l occupation
to -m_l or similar). Without LDA+U I wouldn't know how to do it, but
once you have the total energy of a configuration with L parallel to S
and another one with L antiparallel to S, the energy difference
between them could be approximated to 2 \lambda L.S, and you can
extract \lambda.

I know \lambda can be extracted from some derivative of the potential
(I do not know the details), but I do not think that has been
introduced in the code (some other codes have it, I believe).

Víctor Pardo