[Wien] Spin-polarized and spin-orbit

Lukasz Plucinski pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 13 16:33:24 CEST 2008

Dear Robert, Gerhard and Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for your comments. Errors were result of my misunderstanding.

I finally got reasonable result. I run spin-polarized without SO first.
I made sure this result is ok (did band-structure calc.), then I run
initso_lapw. And then I run x lapwso -band -up only once. I didn't even
try spaghetti, but I looked directly into case.energysoup. Resulting
bands look reasonable, there are both spin-up and spin-down bands with
small, but clear splits. The size and character of these splits look as
they should.

Do you think that running x lapwso -band -up only once, and only during
bandstructure calculation is good enough ? Or should I really run entire
cycle of iterations with sp and SO with k-points all over the BZ ?
Should I use LSDA, or maybe GGA is in principle better ?

Also I am using approx. 1 year old version of the code. I am going to
update soon.

Lukasz