[Wien] films

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 24 10:05:03 CEST 2008

WIEN2k uses always periodic boundary conditions, i.e. you have to create
a 3D supercell.
To study adsorption one creates a film (depending on your problem and the
necessary accuracy between 3 and 20 layers !!!) and adds sufficient
vacuum (typically between 20-40 bohr), so that the slabs are separated.
Now you can put a molecule onto the surface. (In most cases it is better
to keep inversion symmetry and put the molecule on both sides of the slab,
even when it means that you must increase the size of the vacuum to
avoid molecule-molecule interactions).

x supercell helps to generate the cells.