[Wien] Magnetic moments

John Appleton banger_deep at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 01:18:05 CEST 2008

Dear users,
I performed LDA+U bulk calculations for antiferromagnetic (AFM) and
non-magnetic (NM) cells. As outlined in the user guide, the
NM calculations were run as spin-polarized but the moments were
constrained to zero using runsp_c_lapw. After optimization, the total
magnetic moment (spin+orbital) for the AFM cell is zero, implying that
it is non-magnetic. However compared to the NM cell, the AFM cell has
a lower total energy. Is that possible? If the initial AFM cell has a total
moment of zero after optimization, then I expect it to have a total energy
that is quite close to the NM cell. I would like to state that the lattice constants
of the two cells are quite close. Could the magnetization axis be the problem?
The default [001] direction was used.