[Wien] Difference with case.in0_std and case.in0_st?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 25 14:21:05 CEST 2008

in0_st confirms to the "old" default input for lapw0.

We found that for GGA (and in particular meta-GGA or hybrid-DFT calculations,
the default FFT-mesh for the xc-potential/energy in the interstitial may in
some cases not be of highest accuracy. (This was known for long time and
a possible cure was to increase GMAX in case.in2, which, however, also increases
the cpu-time for the coulomb-potential.

the new in0_std format allows to specify the FFT mesh explicitly (and fix it
for different volumes/c_a ratios) as well as enhance it with a single number
(which is 2.0 by default).

When you want to save time I'd recommend to reduce the multiplication factor
from 2 to 1 and memory/cpu-time will be reduced.

PS: The default WIEN2k-inputs are generally at the "save side", i.e. I'd say
for 70% of the cases they are too large, for 20% of the cases they are ok and for
maybe 10% of the cases one should improve them.
This philosophy leads of course to an impression that WIEN2k is "slow", but accurate.

I myself reduce the default parameters in 90% of my cases (sometimes drastically),
but of course I always check the results later on for convergence.