[Wien] open core treatment

Igor Djerdj Igor.Djerdj at mat.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 3 14:56:50 CET 2008

Dear all,
I calculated band structure of Nd(OH)3 which has 4f 3 f-electron configuration. The resulting band structure shows bands at EF identified as 4f bands. However, the system is insulator and in order to correct band structure I followed instructions regarding "open core" treatment of 4f electrons i.e. in case.inc I added shift of 0.40 Ry and 4, 3, 3 for 4f3 electrons; then in case.in1 I put the energy parameter for f-electrons at -1.00 Ry, and finally in case.in2 I removed 3 electrons. Now, the resulting band structure has EF positioned at the top of valence band, but in the gap which is around 4.8 eV , in the middle there are 4f bands with low dispersion, and strong peak in total DOS. My question is how my calculation is correct-reliable-reasonable?
Regards,
Igor