[Wien] The value of band gap from band structure is more less than DOS?

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Wed Mar 12 12:40:10 CET 2008

Dear Tayebeh,

This difference between the "DOS" gap and the "band structure" gap is
simply related to the nature of the bands which define your gap. Indeed,
these bands are significantly dispersed (which means few states at the
top of the valence band and at the bottom of the conduction band). As a
consequence, it leads to a slow increase of the DOS (few states) and the
DOS starts to be significant only at higher energy values, which means
that the apparent gap is larger than the fundamental gap obtained from
the band structure.
Similar question arise when asking the difference between fundamental
gap and optical gap. In the optical gap the notion of efficiency enter
in terms of transition probability but also in terms of number of
states, if the band structure is strongly dispersed and also if the
transition is allowed, the optical gap will be larger than the
fundamental gap.

Hope that this will help you

Regards

Xavier