[Wien] k-mesh for CNTs

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Thu Mar 13 11:42:13 CET 2008

Dear Taiiebeh,

K points are needed to describe the solid state effect (periodicity
...). In other words, you express the wave function of the system using
Bloch orbitals instead of molecular orbitals (in a cluster calculation).
As a consequence, the dispersion in energy of the states contained in
the unit cell you have chosen is described using a periodic function in
which the wave vector k is defined.

If the system you consider is 1D (i.e. 1D infinite chain along a), then
you need to define a k-mesh along the a* direction of the reciprocal space.
If 2D (lamellar system in (a, b) plane ): k-mesh along a* and b*.
and if 3D: kmesh along all directions.

In other words an isolated CNT is 1D along c, so you will need a k-mesh
like (1 1 X) with X defining the number of k-points along c* (where your
band structure will exhibit a dispersion of the energy levels related to
the sigma and pi states of the CNT).

Concerning the number of k-points, you have to start with a small
number. Then increase progressively this number and compare the total
energies of each calculation. In such a way you will choose the smallest
mesh allowing to access a "converged" total energy (which does not vary
anymore by increasing the number of k points).

Regards

Xavier