[Wien] 2 ways to calculate bindning energy

Heinz Haas hhaas at mail.cern.ch
Thu Mar 13 12:42:47 CET 2008

> Lyudmila Dobysheva wrote:
> > Tuesday 11 March 2008 21:02 B. Yanchitsky has written:
> >> Ev_super = E[N-1] - (N-1)*E[1].      (1)
> >> Ev_atom = Ei - E[1].                          (2)
> >
> > I cannot quite catch the problem: do you expect these values equal?

You are absolutely right:
(1) gives you (approximatly) the formation energy of a vacancy, in metal
physics generally described as the energy required to move an atom from
the inner area to the surface. For this reason also the simplistic
argument of B.Y. is not correct. Even in the primitive model of isolated
bonding one would get: Ev_atom = (Ei - E[1]) / 2.
(2) gives you (again very approximately) the formation energy of
the crystal from free atoms.
Heinz Haas