[Wien] problem with TiSi2 structure

Vicki Keast Vicki.Keast at newcastle.edu.au
Thu Mar 27 06:59:39 CET 2008

Dear All,

We have been trying to perform calculations on TiSi2 which has space
group 70 Fddd (a=8.26, b=4.8, c=8.55) and atoms at the 8a and 16e
Wyckoff positions (Ti at 1/8,1/8,1/8 and Si at 0.46, 1/8, 1/8). We have
also tried the other choice of origin. However, when we try to generate
this structure, it doesn't look right and Wien seems to add too many
additional atoms. I have attached a .cif file, which looks correct when
first viewed in XCrysDen, but if this structure is then saved using
Wien, it is no longer correct.

Any thoughts on what could be incorrect with this structure would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Vicki

Dr. Vicki J. Keast
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
Australia
Ph: + 61 2 4921 6653