[Wien] cnorm for Laplacian calculation

Dr. Georg Eickerling georg.eickerling at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Mar 31 09:48:39 CEST 2008

Dear Prof. Blaha,

thank you for the reply.

> I don't know how exactly you got the laplacian, but my first guess
> concerning the factor 2 would be that you did not consider the spin.

I followed the "guide" you gave me a while back here on the mailing list:

 >You can use lapw0. In case.in0 specify as option   36   (instead if 13)
 >and put R2V instead of NR2V.
 >
 >(See vxclm2.f in SRC_lapw0)

I did my (non-spinpolarized) SCF run as usual and then modified in0
to use option 36 and r2v instead of the defaults.

> In lapw0 everything is done spin-polarized, even in a non-spinpolarized
> calculation and one has to add spin-up and dn laplacians to get the
> total.

I obtain one r2v file and in my working dir I do not see any
files indicating an "up/down" output. So I followed your "old" advice

 >The file case.r2v contains the laplacian in the same functional form as
 >the density or the potential is usually stored. Thus you can use this file
 >instead of case.clmval  and plot the Laplacian with   x lapw5
 >(you need to   cp case.r2v case.clmval    before running lapw5).

and used the r2v file "as it is" to plot nabla**2.

> I guess the rest is ok. The normalization of clmsum and clmval files are
> different (only inside the spheres!), this explains the factor sqrt(4pi),
> but the r2v file has the "clmval" normalization.

Thank you for clarifying this. I will do some further tests and try to
find out
what is causing the deviations I observe - I do not see a mistake in
my "procedure", yet.

regards

Georg Eickerling

--