[Wien] Segmentation fault in lapw2c

ROBERTO LUIS IGLESIAS PASTRANA roberto at uniovi.es
Sat Nov 1 12:39:55 CET 2008

Hello all!

I was trying to run a runsp_lapw job for a spin-polarized 16 atom Cr supercell in our local cluster. This is a 50 double processor node Xeon system. I'm using ifort and mkl 64-bit 10.1 versions. I tried to use k-point parallelization. I flipped half the spins in case.inst before going through a complete initialization procedure, since I try to resemble antiferromagnetic alignment. Previous tests with the same supercell size in ferromagnetic Fe went OK and a complete SCF cycle finished without errors. We're using the latest WIEN2k_08.3 version.

I found a crash in lapw2 -c -up with a SIGSEGV, segmentation fault error. The error file reads as follows:

 LAPW0 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
lapw2c             0000000000430441  efermi_                   812  fermi_tmp_.F
lapw2c             0000000000430199  dos_                      752  fermi_tmp_.F
lapw2c             000000000042FE3A  fermi_tetra_              556  fermi_tmp_.F
lapw2c             000000000042D7FA  fermi_                    110  fermi_tmp_.F
lapw2c             0000000000457EE7  MAIN__                    258  lapw2_tmp_.F
lapw2c             000000000040FAAA  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          000000336481C3FB  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw2c             000000000040F9EA  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

I thought something could be wrong in my input files. I ported everything to my PC and I found the same error output to the screen, except for the line showing the "dos" routine. Of course, I tried to change from TETRA to TEMP 0.003, for instance, in case.in2c but it did not help.
The funny thing is that I once had a simliar error in running a spin-orbit plus orbital polarization correction calculation and after countless efforts from P. Blaha and L. Marks there was no conclusive workaround. I am very sorry to say I don't remember when or how I solved this problem, if I did at all. Most possibly I skipped it and turned my attention to a different issue. If desired, it can be checked at:

http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2006-October/008036.html

I tried to run the sequence

x lapw0
x lapw1 -c -up
x lapw1 -c -dn
x lapw2 -c -up

I tested

lapw2c uplapw2.def

as well, and in both cases I got the same error.

Soon afterwards, I did a complete clean initialization in my PC and left it running. There was again a crash in lapw2c:

$ runsp_lapw -it -I -i 200 -ec 0.00001 -cc 0.0001
hup: Command not found.
Invalid null command.
 LAPW0 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
lapw2c             082FB8D0  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw2c             080B28B6  read_vec_                  88  read_vec_tmp_.F
lapw2c             0809086A  l2main_                   507  l2main_tmp_.F
lapw2c             080A4A37  MAIN__                    543  lapw2_tmp_.F
lapw2c             0804D1F1  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          4008A450  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw2c             0804D151  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

>   stop error

The routines have now changed, now no fermi-routine related error appears, but something is still going wrong. I found the same problem again with the x lapw* and lapw2c uplapw2.def tests.

Could it be that this is really a memory limit or system size issue?

I would be very glad to welcome all possible suggestions. Please let me know if you need any extra info.

Greetings

Roberto

Roberto Iglesias
Departamento de Física