[Wien] PBE0 functional

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Thu Nov 6 08:02:22 CET 2008

Dear Anurag,

Using PBE0 you will be able to improve the treatment of the correlation
of the f states of Eu, and you will have Eu2+ without any problem.
However, your question contains another parameter related to the band
gap of the Ba2+ or Sr2+ halide parent compound. As you may expect, this
band gap will be based on p states of the halide for the valence band
and d states of Ba or Sr for the conduction band. This band gap will be
underestimated using DFT. So as you can understand, by using PBE0 for
the f states of Eu, you will "correctly" reproduce the f states
separation, but not the band gap of the parent compound. So, what about
the energy separation between the VB (halide p states) and the 4f states
in the gap?

One possible answer is simply to say that this is not the purpose of DFT
calculations. Rigorously, you cannot use such calculations for such
purpose (excitation energies ...) because you are using a one-electron
method, although when you use PBE0 (which is orbital-dependent but
always one-electron approach).

Another answer could be to say that previous calculations shows that
some tendencies could be obtained when comparing different materials.
So, if you plan to use these calculations to have a qualitative idea of
the evolution of the BV-4f separation for different systems it could be
OK. Such an approach will be better if supported by experimental data
for some of the materials you are considering (in order to validate your
approach).

Regards

Xavier