[Wien] empty DOS for isolated atom or molecule

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 17 07:49:08 CET 2008

This is almost a textbook example on quantum mechanics for molecules and
solids and the corresponding numerical approximations.

You want a "DOS" for an isolated molecule !!!  and of course an isolated
molecule has only DISCRETE molecular orbital levels.
If we approximate an isolated molecule by a "bandstructure" approach and
periodically repeat the molecule at large distances, the proper "DOS" is
a sum of some delta-functions (at the MO-levels). Their k-dispersion is
zero.
Since you calculate the DOS on a discrete energy mesh (every 2 mRy) it
is very unlikely that you "hit" the energy of the delta function (eg.
the eigenvalue is at -0.51234567, but you calculate the DOS at -0.514,
-0.512, -0.510,... and therefore it is all zero. (Check the integrated
DOS in case.outputt, you will see jumps by 2 electrons from time to time).

Why do you "see" a DOS at high energies ??? These are antibonding
states, which are very delocalized an space. Thus there is some overlap
with the next molecule (15 bohr away), leading to some k-dispersion and
suddenly you see some (artificial) DOS.

Just check case.output1 for the energy levels of your "DOS".