[Wien] Electron Density

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Mon Nov 17 15:48:13 CET 2008

> I am going to plot "Electron Density" for my compound Gd2PdSi3; but i
> don't know how to select a proper value for "Emin" in Xlapw2 stage
> (wien2K 2008).
> it is suggested(Wien usersguide)that in order to eliminate *Ti3s* and*
> 3p* semicore states for TiC sample,*Emin* be equal to 1; while energy of
> these states(Within "Tic.outputst" file) is -4 , -2 Ry respectively.
> therefore what is Emin  and how must be chosen?
> How can one determine it by using "case.scf 1,2"files?

You don't want to have the nearly localized semi-core states in your
density plot: they lead to high peaks that hide everything else.
Therefore, put Emin to a value that is higher than the energy of these
semi-core states, but lower than the energy of the valence states which
you do want to plot. Look into the eigenvalues in case.scf, and assign
them to an orbital (information from case.in1 will help you here). From
this, you see what is the energy of the highest semi-core state. Put
Emin slightly above that one.

Stefaan