[Wien] Pathscale+OpenMPI support

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 21 08:35:12 CET 2008

I see !

setenv WIEN_MPIRUN "mpirun _EXEC_"

You run an mpi job just using   "mpirun executable"; without specifying
the number of nodes (taking the default defined in the sge-job).

Thus for ONE k-point, the .machines file is actually ignored, i.e.
wien2k starts ONE mpi job (and this is ALWAYS running on ALL available
nodes.

Open a terminal window and change into the "case-directory". Execute
x kgen
It asks for some input and use a larger number of k-points (eg. 20).
Observe how many k-points are created by that (cat *.klist). Rerun kgen
until you get eg. 4 k-points (or a similar number).

The run    x lapw1 -p    (or run_lapw -p -i 1)

Now wien2k will start as many mpi-jobs as lines in .machines (and
probably you will have more than one mpi-job running on every core,
since your mpirun will always take all hosts).

Scott Beardsley schrieb:
>>> A 32cpu job would always look like this:
>>>
>>> lapw0: compute-0-0:8 compute-0-1:8 compute-0-2:8 compute-0-3:8
>>> 1:compute-0-0:8
>>> 1:compute-0-1:8
>>> 1:compute-0-2:8
>>> 1:compute-0-3:8