[Wien] memory configuration for k-point parallelization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 1 15:24:18 CEST 2008

For a case with 100 atoms/cell most likely you will have only 1 k-point,
thus k-point parallel is not possible, only mpi-parallel.

In case you have a metallic (magnetic) case, you may still have a few
k-points and than k-parallel is still most efficient, provided the
memory (RAM) is large enough ON EACH NODE (has nothing to do with the
master node).

If you have enough nodes available, one can also mix k-point and mpi-parallel
mode, eg. when you have 4-kpoints, but you have 16 nodes, run 4-mpi-jobs
per k-point.

mpi-version only with the most recent versions.