[Wien] no effect of an external electric field on the splitting in graphene

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 3 13:45:03 CEST 2008

Most likely this is a "symmetry" problem.

One cannot put the graphene sheet at an arbitrary z-position. Remember,
adding an E-field means that we change the Coulomb-potential.
In order to keep periodicity, we use a zig-zag potential and of course
it does NOT make sense to put an atom at the position of the "kink"
(z=0 or 0.5).

Of course when one adds an E-field along the z-direction, the mirror
symmetry within the graphene plane has gone. Thus it is essential to
have this fact reflected in the local symmetry (eg. you need a LM=1 0
term for the E-field, which is normally absent for a single sheet).

I'd recommend to setup the struct file with 2 graphene layers (at z=0
and 0.25), but one should contain eg. B atoms instead of C. After
symmetry detection, remove the B-sheet (at z=0).