[Wien] memory configuration for k-point parallelization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 4 12:22:30 CEST 2008

Yes, XAS calculations for 100 atoms/cell should be possible on your computer.
But note, the required resources may vary a lot with the specific system (atoms,
nearest neighbor distances, structure (inversion symmetry).

With just 2 nodes and 4 cores in total, mpi-parallelization is most-likely
not the way to go (except you need it because of memory limitations).

For XAS you need a good DOS at the end, so you will need finally some k-points,
thus k-parallelization should be fine, for a large system probably only
1 job per node (but with OMP_NUM_PTHREAD = 2).

No, you don't need an explicit master node, except for NFS, i.e. your data
should be on one node, but via NFS also available on the other one.