[Wien] please help

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 16 07:21:27 CEST 2008

I'm not surprised that a Gd-supercell does NOT converge in an
unpolarized calculation.

You have to consider the underlying physics: Gd metal has 7 4f
electrons, thus in a polarized calculation this gives a rather stable
situation, i.e. "all" 7 spin-up states are occupied, but all 7 spin-dn
states empty.
In an unpolarized case you must put 7 electrons into "3.5 states" (each
state takes now 2 electrons!) and it is rather naturally that this will
cause problems.

The VERY efficient mixer seems to manage this for pure Gd, but in the
supercell there are many more degrees of freedom and thus convergence is
much more difficult. Eventually, switching to TEMP and a rather large
broadening will help to converge.

In any case, you have to ask yourself: what should this calculation be
good for ?? Even above the Neel/Curie-point one has local magnetic
moments (only the long range order has gone).