[Wien] please help

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 17 10:46:52 CEST 2008

As I said in my previous mail:

A paramagnetic state of a 4f compound does NOT mean that one should do a
unpolarized calculation.
Even in the paramagnetic case, one has local moments on each Gd site, but
they are no longer long range ordered, but randomly oriented, thus there
is no net magnetization.

Eventually you can try the effects of magnetic disorder and flip the spins
on two Gd atoms in your supercell (so that the net moment of the cell is again
zero, but you do not have the strict AF state anymore.

PS: I'd expect a rather small influence on the EFG on Cd by that. Other effects
(lattice expansion and phonons) may play a role too.