[Wien] How can I run the job on the background?

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 9 14:38:36 CEST 2009

Dear Robert, Stefaan, Laurence, and  Tomohiko,

Thank you all for sharing your precious experience with me.

I first tried Stefan and Laurence's suggestion. Unfortunately, because the
file at.allow is missing in the etc/at directory (I am using a machine
with 8 CPUs under Mac OS X Leopard), I didn't succeed. I will ask my
computer administrator to create this file and add my account name into
the file. I will keep you posted of the result when it is available.

I then saw Robert and Tomohiko's suggestion.
I tested without the option of -p (.machines file is not set), i.e.,
serial mode. It worked!
I now create a .machines file and run the command as

nohup   run_lapw -cc 0.001 -i 40  -p >& stderrout &

It seems to also work. But I am not sure because Tomohiko put forward his
suggestion by mentioning specifically the serial mode. Tomohiko, can you
comment further?

Many thanks,

Jianxin

--