[Wien] How can I run the job on the background?

"Paweł Leśniak, IFMPAN" lesniak at ifmpan.poznan.pl
Thu Jul 9 17:18:04 CEST 2009

W dniu 2009-07-09 16:58, Gerhard Fecher pisze:
> why not using batch -f  xyz .job
>
> with a jobfile containing
> cd some directory
> run_lapw shatever
>
> This will run in background one of the jobs after the other
>
> batch is a special of at and comes with the usual Linux distributions.

batch is not flexible. You can't change anything inside script while
it's running. It's different when you run queuing system - you can
delete pending (or running - but this is not so "cool") jobs and put
other (or corrected versions) jobs. Also with queuing system you have
great overview of how jobs are doing (memory usage etc.). And you can
much more simple run jobs on more than one computer with queuing system.
It's not so straightforward when using at (or batch). Also screen is
often part of OS distribution, and for sure is far more simple to
install than WIEN2k (screen packages exist for all mainstream
distributions).
Anyways - I've just provided two more ways of running jobs ("in
background") which weren't mentioned in other answers. Don't blame me.

Pawel Lesniak