[Wien] parallel task stops at the end of LAPW1

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
Thu Jul 30 11:52:34 CEST 2009

On 23 July 2009 Pawel Lesniak wrote:
> If your login shell is tcsh, try running anything (eg. date &) in
> background and check if it behaves different from lapw1.

I have made a simple bat-file (analog of lapw1para):
#!/bin/csh -f
date > l-output &
wait
-----------------------------
it works o'k.

Using simplified fortran programs I have found that there is a strange
behavior with output of the STOP operator:
when there is a program in background (&) with STOP 'something to write',
it cannot finish by itself and unload itself from the execution. The lapw1para
waits for it and hangs.
I have changed the last operators in lapw1.f and lapw2.f
from
      STOP ' LAPW2 END'
      STOP
 and this works, but this is not a good solution.

I checked the same with other compiler f77 --- the same strangeness.

Who knows what happens?

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-15-server x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux 2.6.27-14-generic
Ubuntu 8.10 (Oct. 2008)

Best regards
Lyudmila Dobysheva

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 Lyudmila Dobysheva wrote:
> > Non-parallel calculation works well, but the parallel over k-points stops
> > in lapw1.
> > More precisely in lapw1para_lapw: the execution does not return from the
> > line: (cd $PWD;$t $exe ${def}_$loop.def;rm -f .lock_$lockfile[$p])
> >
> > It performs entirely lapw1_N (up to      STOP ' LAPW1 END'),
> > cleans the uplapw1_N.error files,
> > and stops.
> > top shows that there are 8*lapw1,
> > 1+8* lapw1_para's
> > and one reappearing sleep. All with zero CPU %.
> >
> > .lockfiles exist in the directory.
Phys.-Techn. Institute of Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci.
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132
RUSSIA
Tel.:7(3412) 442118 (home), 218988(office), 250614(Fax)
E-mail: lyu at otf.fti.udmurtia.su, lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
http://fti.udm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/