[Wien] Total density of states versus projected density of states

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 16 21:21:55 CEST 2009

Dear Prof. Blaha and wien2k users,

Recently I did an electronic structure calculation for UFe5As3 in a
ferromagnetic state.
Although the chemical formula is UFe5As3 involving 9 atoms, the unit
cell for the calculation contains
2 U atoms,  10 Fe atoms, and 6 As atoms, i.e., 18 atoms in total.

My question:
Is the obtained value of the total density of states for the sum of
the contributions from 9 atoms (i.e., per chemical
formula) or 18 atoms (per unit cell)?

Is the projected density of states for each individual atom or each
individual type of atom?

Here each individual atom is really meaning one single atom while each
individual type atom is meaning the
nonequivalent type, which can have multiple equivalent atoms. For
example, the atomic type 1, which is U, can
have two atoms.

If I understand that the projected density of states is for one single
atom, I would understand the total density
of states is for one chemical formula.

Thanks for the help and sharing.

Jian-Xin Zhu